Vitamin D is a very critical food substance that shouldn’t be removed from anyone’s diet. It is critical for the strengthening of bones and teeth as well as many other protective functions in the body. It regulates cellular growth and cell activity to ensure the body is maintained in optimum conditions. However, many people are deficient of this very important nutrient for a number of reasons. Some do not have access to sufficient sunshine due to their local climates while vegetarians miss out on the supplies from fish species and the likes. However, the good news is that vitamin D deficiency treatment is here to save them from severe health effects.
Why Treat The Deficiency?
Before appreciating the importance of vitamin D deficiency treatment, it is important to know what the deficiency may result in. Deficiency of this important nutrient can result in:
- Rickets: This childhood disease is characterized by impeded growth and deformity of the body’s long bones. It is common in Africa and Asia and could also be a result of genetic disorders.
- Osteomalacia: This bone-thinning disorder occurs in adults and is characterized by fragile bones and weak muscles.
- Increased susceptibility to a number of cancers and other complications.
However, timely vitamin D deficiency treatment can help prevent these effects from developing.
The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency usually vary in kids and adults, and can be hard to notice. Once diagnosed though, vitamin D deficiency treatment is centered on and intake of Vitamin D supplements, which is known as ergacalciferol or simply calciferol. It is given either in liquid form or as a tablet. Here are the methods used in vitamin D deficiency treatment:
- Injection: One small injection of the supplement can last for as long as six months, making it a very effective and convenient method. This is an ideal treatment for those who abhor pills or simply forget taking them.
- High-dose tablets and liquids: These come in different strengths, with doses to be taken daily, weekly or even monthly. The advantage of this vitamin D deficiency treatment is that it guarantees quick improvement, making it ideal for kids who are growing up.
- Standard-dose tablets, powders and liquids: For this treatment to work, these tablets, powders or liquids need to be taken daily for a period of up to 12 months. Despite not being as fast as the high-dose supplements, it is an ideal vitamin D deficiency treatment for cases where the deficiency is mild. They can also be taken as a preventive measure.
- Maintenance therapy: After replenishing the body’s store, it is important to ensure the levels do not drop again. Maintenance treatment is done for long term purposes using smaller doses of the supplement.
The dosage required by each vitamin D deficiency treatment will be provided by the doctor and usually depends on factors such as age, situation and seriousness of the condition. Always ensure you adhere to the dosage prescribed to ensure the treatment is successful.
Incoming search terms:
- vitamin d deficiency dosage treatment
- procedure code for vitamin d injection
- vit d deficiency treatment
- vitamin d deficiency treatment d3
- Vitamin D: Pain Treatment
- Vitamin D Side Effects: Risk and Treatment
- Experts recommend screening for vitamin D deficiency in at-risk populations
- Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms A Concern
- Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency
- Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms in Women Analyzed
- Widespread vitamin D deficiency a concern in Asia